TV: League Pass
- Corey Maggette, the Bobcats’ leading scorer, will be out for the team’s final 10 games this season. The Bobcats made the announcement this afternoon. Maggette has missed 24 games to date due to a wide array of injuries. He will miss the remainder due to a strained right Achilles tendon. He had also battled back issues and a strained left hamstring this year. Charlotte was already last in the league in scoring and will now have to look elsewhere for those lost points. Charlotte coach Paul Silas indicated that Derrick Brown and Matt Carroll will see an increase in minutes with his absence.
- Detroit guard Ben Gordon was named to the preliminary roster for Great Britain’s 2012 Olympic men’s basketball team. Gordon is originally from London and has made his desire to play in the Olympics known for some time. Gordon joins Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls) and Byron Mullens (Charlotte Bobcats) on the squad of 21 looking to make the team’s roster.
- Vernon Macklin, the rookie from Florida, will get an opportunity to prove himself as the season plays out. Detroit coach Lawrence Frank said, “Vernon will get an opportunity, regardless [of being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs]. Regardless of what, we were going to do that anyway. So we have a plan of how we’re going to incorporate him.” Macklin is averaging just 1.4 points and 0.9 rebounds in limited action this season.
- The Bobcats are mired in a 13-game losing streak, but it’s not their longest of the season. They dropped 16 earlier this season. The last Charlotte win was on March 17 against Toronto.
- Bryon Mullens and Greg Monroe might be the matchup to watch tonight. Mullens has averaged 19 points in his two starts this season against Detroit which is more than double his season average of 9.6 per game. Monroe has averaged 18 points in three matchups against the Bobcats this season.
– Derek S Smith