TV: League Pass
- Eric Gordon, who averaged 20.6 points in nine games with the Hornets last season, is back at practice but is not likely to play until Saturday, reported coach Monty Williams. A sore right knee has kept Gordon out all season so far. “He changes the way we play with his ability to do a number of things — shooting the ball, attacking the basket, defending certain guys,” Williams said. ”But we want to make sure he’s at the conditioning level that he needs to be to play well.”
- Magic forward Hedo Turkoglo has also missed the whole season to date with a broken left hand. He is starting to shoot and do some drills, but is not close to returning. “He needs more practice,” said coach Jacque Vaughn.
- The Magic lost their first two games without forward Glen Davis, who is out indefinitely with a sprained left shoulder.
- Hornets sixth-man Ryan Anderson is New Orleans’ leading scorer (17.8 points per game) and leads the NBA in 3-point field goals (88), just as he did with the Magic last season. “This was a place I got an opportunity and I really worked hard here. I tried to work my way into the rotation and the starting lineup here,” Anderson said. “I got to know a lot of great people here. Ovation or not, it’s been fun. People were great to me and have continued to be great to me whether it’s through Twitter or phone calls.’’
- Gustavo Ayon, who was traded for Anderson, will get his second start of the season tonight in place of Davis.
- Starting with the Hornets, who have lost 11 straight, the Magic’s next three opponents have a combined record of 17-63.
- Hornets lineup: Anthony Davis, Lance Thomas, Robin Lopez, Greivis Vasquez, Austin Rivers.
- Magic lineup: Maurice Harkless, Ayon, Nikola Vucevic, Arron Afflalo, Jameer Nelson.
– Dick Scanlon