- Mavericks guard O.J. Mayo will start tonight after missing some practice time with a fever and flu-like symptoms. Mayo has struggled though in his last three games shooting just 27.3 percent (9-for-33). He’s been even worse from long range during that time (1-for-11).
- Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki is back in the lineup but not back with the starters just yet. Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle will bring Nowitzki off the bench for now, “Our starters will have to hold the fort until we get him in there.” Nowitzki played 20 minutes in his Sunday debut against San Antonio, scoring eight points and grabbing six rebounds.
- Carlisle played it close to vest yesterday after practice and again tonight in the back hallway about who his starting point guard will be tonight. Carlisle has been trying to decide whether Dominique Jones, Darren Collison or Roddy Beaubois will be best at that position going forward. For tonight Jones get’s the nod. Beaubois was taken out of the running this afternoon when he became ill with a stomach virus. Dallas has used 13 different starting lineups.
- Thunder head coach Scott Brooks is the only coach in the NBA who’s been able to start the same five guys in every game. However, he is making a change in his rotation. Second year man Reggie Jackson, who’s been playing behind Eric Maynor, got all of the backup point guard minutes in Miami on Christmas Day and that will continue tonight, “I’m gonna give Reggie some games, I don’t know how many, but I thought he was solid last game and didn’t do anything that put himself in a bad position,” Brooks said before tonight’s game.
- Thunder forward Kevin Durant averages career lows in scoring (21.4 ppg) and shooting (40.8 percent) against Dallas.
– Randy Renner