TV: League Pass
- Jose Calderon has been cleared to play for Detroit and will start alongside Brandon Knight, Jason Maxiell, Kyle Singler and Greg Monroe. The Spanish-born point guard had been unable to play for his new team because of unresolved visa issues.
- The Pistons (18-30) have lost three of four. They are 5-17 on the road and 13-13 at home.
- Knicks coach Mike Woodson will now get to relax over All-Star weekend because the Miami Heat (30-14) have the best record in the Eastern Conference, half a game ahead of the Knicks (30-15). Miami coach Erik Spoelstra will coach the East. “I’m gonna go somewhere and just take it easy for a few days and reflect on the first half and see how we can get better,” Woodon said. “It would’ve been great if I got to take my staff and I to Houston. I still have a house there, so it would’ve been nice. But it didn’t work out that way, so I gotta go to Plan B.”
- Woodson said the Knicks can still “be in position” to challenge the Heat for the No. 1 seed in the East if they play well in the second half of the season.
- The Knicks will start Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, Iman Shumpert, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler.
- Amar’e Stoudemire is averaging 13.5 points and 4.6 boards off the bench, but conceded he’s never considered contending for Sixth Man of the Year honors. “I never thought about the Sixth Man of the Year ever in my career,” he said after putting up a season-best 21 points as the Knicks routed the Sacramento Kings, 120-81, Saturday. “But it may be a possibility.” Said Woodson: “Amar’e has put work in to develop his low-post game and it’s helped him, and it’s helped us…He’s not getting double-teamed right now and that’s kind of nice. He’s been able to work on his individual game.”
- The Knicks have won four straight and five of six. They are 18-6 at home, 12-9 away from the Garden. Woodson said the team’s goal was to go 9-2 in the last 11 games before the All-Star break. “And we’re on pace to go 9-2,” he said.
- Woodson said he expects Rasheed Wallace and possibly Marcus Camby back in the second half of the season. “I think they’ll be ready once the All-Star break” ends he said.
– Adam Zagoria