TV: League Pass
- Boston’s Paul Pierce will sit out tonight against Charlotte. “I just thought he was getting tired,” Rivers said. “I was going to sit someone here with the travel and time change.” Jeff Green will get the start in place of Pierce. “He’s earned it,” Rivers said. I want Jeff to go out there and be Jeff. That’s it. If he has another great game for us. We’ll take it.” Green I’m gonna go with Jeff,” Rivers said.” Green has averaged 14.3 points over the last 19 games after scoring just 9.6 per game in the first 43.
- Pierce came into the game needing 10 points to move past Charles Barkley into 20th all-time on the NBA scoring list but will have to wait one more game to reach that milestone. The Celtics forward currently has 23,748 points in his 14-year career.
- The Celtics and Bobcats will meet each twice in just five days and both teams enter Tuesday’s game looking to get back on track. Boston lost Sunday at Oklahoma City 91-79 and currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference playoff race. While Charlotte is looking to snap its 10-game losing streak and avoid becoming the first team eliminated from playoff contention. The two met February 11 in Charlotte where the Bobcats picked up a 94-91 win which is also their last home win. Charlotte has truly struggled since then going just 1-11 including losing their last 10 games by an average of 21.5 points per game including dropping three by at least 30 points.
- Josh McRoberts will get the start at power forward for the Bobcats Tuesday in place of Byron Mullens. McRoberts had his first start as a Bobcat Saturday in Washington after Charlotte coach Mike Dunlap benched Mullens due to poor rebounding production. McRoberts had four points and two rebounds before fouling out in just 22 minutes of action.
- Kevin Garnett is also moving up the career scoring chart and needs nine points to pass Jerry West and move into 15th place. Garnett has 25,184 points.
- Charlotte starters: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Josh McRoberts, Bismack Biyombo, Gerald Henderson, Kemba Walker. Inactive: Ramon Sessions.
- Boston starters: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Kevin Garnett, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley. Inactives: Fab Melo, Rajon Rondo (torn ACL, right knee), Jared Sullinger (lumbar disc surgery).
– Derek Smith